Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happiness Project on Hold ....

So I haven't been updating much lately. Between the death of my father, relationship issues with J, and falling behind in my current classes I haven't even been thinking about my happiness project, much less read any more of Gretchen Rubin's book. However, my positive psychology class has been of some help during these difficult times.  I just finished writing a paper on optimism, only to realize I am extremely pessimistic. Part of my assignment was to identify how one gains optimism. The best way is using Albert Ellis' ABC(DE) model, which is identifying adversity, recognizing irrational or negative beliefs, observing the consequences of negative (or irrational) beliefs, disputing them, and feeling energized.

So as an attempt to somewhat keep up on my happiness projects I am going to try posting one of my adversitites every day (or as often as I can) and going through the steps.

Here's todays:

Adversity : Feeling tired and overwhelmed.
(Irrational / Negative) Belief: I'm never going to get anything done, things are going to be a mess forever
Consequence: I continued to procratinate, thus fulfilling the negative belief.
Dispute: If I started earlier, I would not have felt overwhelmed. Things will get completed when I just do them, instead of contempating the tasks and feeling overwhelmed.
Energized:? no not really, it's 12:30 AM. But I am extremely happy that I finished my paper before the deadline and turned it in. Hoping for at least an A-.